The following is from a handout provided by the MU Counseling Center:
When Going Home is Challenging…
Sometimes heading home for break feels stressful or emotionally unsafe. Here are a few ways you can take care of yourself.
- Take breaks from difficult family members. (Take a walk, go out with safe friends…)
- Stay in touch with safe friends and family by text, social media, or phone.
- Say no when you need to.
- Stick to your values.
- Listen to music, watch movies, or read books that feel great.
- Use apps such as www.calm.com to help you relax and feel more grounded.
- Be kind to yourself and others.
- Do things that help you feel safe & happy.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs, these can fuel topics that are already tense.
- If it’s too much, call us (the Counseling Center) at 573-882-6601.